Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

First Osprey!

Well, it has been a week of not much birding at all. Between work and the weather, I haven't been able to make it out nearly as much as I would have liked, and the times I have gotten out have been almost unbearably quiet. I spent a few days chasing down Mountain Bluebird reports to no avail, as well as checking other likely spots for them.

Yesterday, finally, a new species for the year! I was doing some banking at Colwood Corners, when I heard a familiar, but lately absent, call. Looking up, I saw a pair of Ospreys circling their former nesting location near Juan de Fuca Rec Centre (the nest was blown down over the winter, and the poles in the area altered to make them unsuitable for nest construction). I can imagine the confusion of the returning birds, wondering where their nest had gone. Hopefully the new pole and nesting platform that have been promised will be put up in time for this years nesters to take advantage of it!

Aside from that, the migrants have yet to appear. I spent this morning looking (again) for Hutton's Vireo, and hoping for a Townsend's Solitaire, but Observatory Hill had only juncos, and a gathering of perhaps 25 ravens that were taking great and vocal delight in harrassing an immature Bald Eagle. I can't recall running into this many ravens at once, nor being unable to hear anything else through the sound of them all croaking and calling at once. Oh well, the year is still young.

Good birding,

No comments:

Post a Comment