Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Rules

I have been asked a couple of times about what my "rules" are for my big year, so I figured I would include them here. They are quick and simple (or so I hope, stay tuned), and are as follows:

  1. Each species must be visually identified beyond all shadow of a doubt, with clear views of all field marks. Hearing a bird is not the same as seeing it. There are not many species that this will be difficult with, but this is why there are still owls on my Wish List (and thank goodness Wrentit, my long-standing, uber-vocal nemesis, does not occur here).
  2. Each species must be seen within the Victoria Checklist Area. Species seen while I am in the checklist area and they are not, cannot be counted. This really only applies for pelagics, or at Otter Point (ie, when birding from Otter Point, birds to the East will be counted, birds to the West will not).
I will keep a "self-found" total on the sidebar, for which only birds that I stumble upon with no third-party information will be counted.

Where possible, I will also try to post record shots of rarities. "Record shot" is a very loose term for me, as I aim to be a birder and not a photographer, and 24X digital zoom is not kind when it comes to photographing birds.

Lastly, there are some sensitive species that I won't post information about in this blog, such as some owls or private residences that wish to remain private. Any sightings that can be posted will appear here, on the BCVIBIRDS yahoo group, and on the BC Bird Alert.

Good birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment