Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Owls, owls, owls

Saturday at 3:00am found me driving north on the Malahat, aiming to find the last two owls I need. Without coffee, and with four hours of sleep, I started my owling loop in Shawnigan Lake. From there, I worked my way north, winding my way through the backroads towards Duncan, where I finally grabbed the morning double-double (and, as an aside and definite highlight, I won a free coffee - my first Roll Up the Rim winner in two years!).

The weather was not quite ideal for owling, with a little drizzle here and there, but once committed, the show must go on. I ended up finding 5 owls from 4 species, without adding either of my targets. The first owl was my sought-after Western Screech-Owl, which called briefly and then remained silent and out of sight, giving me a great listen but depriving me of adding it to my Big Year List. Maybe next time I will scatter some seed on the road and wait for it.....

After the Screech-Owl, I was treated to a Barred Owl sitting on the side of the road near Cowichan Station, a Great Horned Owl and a Barn Owl near Duncan, and another Barred Owl on a telephone wire at Cowichan Bay. Without my camera handy, the picture below was taken with my blackberry (I did mention I am not a photographer, right?).



I made it to Cowichan Bay at first light, and starting checking all of the usual places for Short-eared Owl, without luck. I was treated to a flock of 40+ Northern Shovelers, which I have not seen in Victoria in these numbers this year, as well as various other waterfowl, and good numbers of singing sparrows and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.

The day ended without a single addition to the Big Year list, but I am finding it really hard to complain.

Good birding,

1 comment:

  1. If you're still missing screech in October I'd be happy to join up for some Vic-area owl prowlin!

    ReplyDelete