Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Still summer.....

...and I have been lazy with the updating! Somewhere between the last post and now, I snuck in Coho trip number four, which was fairly uneventful, with good numbers of Common Murre during the crossing, and an incredible 300+ Heermann's Gulls on the Port Angeles side, the majority of them on Ediz Hook. I also finally picked up the Sibley Guide in a Port Angeles book store, saving myself almost $16 in the process. Not bad for a birding trip!

I have also added on species since the last post, a Pectoral Sandpiper that has been hanging around Panama Flats with great numbers of several other species. The ocean side birding has been a little slower, with neither of my targets putting in an appearance, despite daily stops in prime areas. The shorebird migration is still young though, so I don't expect them to be targets for much longer.

Also coming up, we can expect our pelagic types to finally show up. For those who have been following along, I have been waiting for them for about six months now! Hopefully a couple of boat trips out of Pedder Bay, plus the now full August 27 mini-pelagic to the far reaches of the checklist area, will fill in the jaegers, shearwaters, and others. If you are interested in perhaps joining in on one of the Pedder Bay trips, let me know! The boats have room for 4 or 6 people, depending on the boat rented.

There have been incredible birds showing up just about everywhere along the coast from Haida Gwai to the Salton Sea (Bar-tailed Godwit, Wood Sandpiper, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, etc), and hopefully it is just a matter of time before we turn a few up in our neck of the woods!

Good birding,

No comments:

Post a Comment