Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Monday, August 29, 2011

A Great Weekend by Any Measure!

As many of these posts have, this one begins with a Friday afternoon phone call from Jeremy Gatten, a casual "so, we have a probable Red-necked Stint at Witty's Lagoon, come in from Tower Point". This was more than enough to send me running for the car, dialing a couple of other local birders on the way. As I was getting ready to pull out, I got a text from Jeremy, reporting a Ruff in the same flock! A Ruff in Victoria is great, a Red-necked Stint incredible, but both in the same spot?

This is also a lesson about knowing where the trails are. Had I known about the trail that Jeremy was referencing, which is at the end of Olympic View Dr, it would have been a much drier walk. I arrived at Tower Point itself and, finding no trail, hopped into the water and waded over to Witty's Lagoon, crossing carnivorous mud and waist deep water to reach the area where the birds and birders were. When I reached the other side, I was met by Jeremy and guided to the discovering group of Nathan Hentze, Jamie Fenneman, and Pierre-Paul Bitton, who had the juvie Red-necked Stint lined up in the scope for me already, showing the peg-like bill, short legs and long primary projection. Eventually the feet were seen as well, clearly showing a lock of webbing to seal the deal. A great bird, and well worth the bath on the way over! Thirty seconds later, one of the scopes was in line with the Ruff, also in juvie plumage. Jeremy G et al had to leave at that point, and I stuck around to keep track of the birds for the other incoming birders. The Ruff stuck around and showed well, but a Merlin came through just before everyone else arrived, and the peep flock flew off. Also in the area were a Pectoral Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpipers, a Yellowlegs, and 2 Dowitchers.

If this wasn't enough, Saturday morning was the Mini Pelagic Trip out of Sooke, with Russ Nicks from Sooke Coastal Explorations. The fog was thick as we left Sooke, headed for the US Border due south of Otter Point. We had no luck finding any feeding gatherings of gulls or other birds as we cruised along the border, so we headed a little closer to shore off Sooke. As we were slowly cruising, someone yelled "Puffin!" Sure enough, there was a beautiful adult Tufted Puffin about 40ft or so off the side of the boat. All aboard got great looks at the bird. Our next stop, where we ended the 2 hour journey, was Beechey Head, where bait and gulls alike had been gathering. As we approached, we saw two jaegers off the front of the boat, but no one was able to get an I.D. on either. This proved to not be a big deal. As we approached a small gathering of feeding gulls, a larger bird flew in, showing off the long, twisted tail streamers of a Pomarine Jaeger! We ended up getting incredible looks at a second Pomarine on our way back in, as it flew by very near the boat. Other birds on the Mini Pelagic included Red-necked Phalaropes and a small flock of Bonaparte's Gulls. There is lots of opportunity out there, and this is the time to take advantage of it. Thanks to Russ for a great trip!

Sunday morning found me doing the census at Rocky Point Bird Observatory. The birding and banding was quiet, but as I left I had a voicemail from Chris Saunders, reporting a Northern Waterthrush at Swan Lake. This bird was almost expected, as they have been annual for the last few years, during the last week of August, at the switchback portion of the boardwalk. I arrived to find Chris, Ian C, David C, and Mike M listening intently, though the bird hadn't been heard for 20 minutes or so. I was hoping for the best, as I only had 20 minutes to hang around. A couple of minutes of waiting, and the bird started calling. Then a second bird chipped in as well! Both called on and off, but never showed themselves. C'est la vie!

I returned to Swan Lake this morning (Monday) on my way to the office, hoping for the best but preparing to come away empty-handed, as there had been no followup reports. As I stepped onto the switchback part, a Waterthrush called, very close, and I looked up to see the bird perched in the open about 12 feet off the ground, calling continuously and providing just incredible looks. The second bird was about 5 feet away from the first, and they chased each other around the branches while I called Chris. In the 30 seconds or so that it took Chris, David, Mary, and Kirsten M to get to where I was, the birds both stopped calling and disappeared. In the next half hour that I stayed, they provided brief looks, and everyone ended up getting to see at least one.

Four days and five new birds, bringing me to 223, and 29 away from beating the record! It should be an exciting next few weeks around Victoria, and I wonder what will be next!

Good rarity hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment