Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Friday, May 13, 2011

One down, two to go!

A bird I missed several times last year is no longer a nemesis!

Yesterday, Mike McGrenere called me to let me know about a Western Kingbird he had found along Lochside Dr, near Blenkinsop Lake. This is the same field in which he found a male Mountain Bluebird last year, and within spitting distance of Western Kingbirds he had found in the past two years.

It was serendipitous timing, as I was about to leave one office in Broadmead to head out to the other in Langford. A quick detour put me at Lochside, where Mary Robichaud had her scope set up exactly on the bird! A quick look sealed it, and I enjoyed great looks for another 10 or 15 minutes as the bird moved up and down the fenceline at the far end of the field.

Not only is this my Big Year Western Kingbird, but it is also my first Western Kingbird for the Victoria Checklist area, and indeed for Vancouver Island! Big thanks to Mike for locating it!

While we were admiring the bird, there was also a Black-headed Grosbeak singing nearby, which I tried and failed to spot... next time!

All that is left is to track down Eastern and Tropical Kingbirds........

Good birding,

No comments:

Post a Comment