Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Monday, December 5, 2011

Finally, a new bird!

Well, about four weeks left, and I finally picked up bird number 241!
An American Tree Sparrow was reported from Panama Flats a week and a bit ago, but hadn't been seen since, until I received a phone call from Mike McGrenere this morning, letting me know that he had relocated it, just south of the Carey Rd entrance.

I made my way over later in the afternoon and wandered down the trail to the south, catching up with the mixed flock of Golden-crowned Sparrows and White-crowned Sparrows about 200m in. A flash of a grey breast, with a dark central spot caught my eye in one of the smaller trees. I had heard that a juvie White-crown in the area was also showing a dark central breast spot, so I stopped and waited. It didn't take long for the bird to hop out into the open, showing a pale overall colour, clean breast with central spot, and a bright, rusty crown! American Tree Sparrow for #241, and 11 to go!

This was not only a great bird to add to my Big Year, but was also a milestone bird, being my #350 bird for Canada! The ABA will now finally allow me to submit my Canada List to them!

26 days are left, and there are lots of good birds kicking around... somewhere! Time to finally catch up with a "countable" Rusty Blackbird, and one of the many Common Redpolls in Victoria!

Good birding,

No comments:

Post a Comment