Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Migration and Poor Vacation Planning

Well, it looks like migration may finally be picking up! A Palm Warbler was banded at Rocky Point a couple of days ago, the first Lapland Longspurs were reported this morning, and good numbers of raptors are moving through East Sooke and Rocky Point.

Last Thursday, Mike M called me, letting me know about 4 Sandhill Cranes near McIntyre Reservoir. By the time I made it out there they were gone, so I circled around to Martindale Rd, where I found Mary R. I pulled over in front of her, and she jogged up to the car before I had even stopped, letting me know that 8 Cranes had just taken off and were flying to the north. I quickly got my binoculars on them, for #227! Thanks Mike and Mary!

There have also been good numbers of raptors, we had our first small kettle of Turkey Vultures over Rocky Point yesterday, in company with a single Red-tailed Hawk. Jeremy G and I spent yesterday afternoon at the hawkwatch spot in East Sooke Park, where over two and a half hours we counted 150+ Band-tailed Pigeons, 50 Red Crossbills, 50-60 Turkey Vultures, 2 Red-tailed Hawks, and 3 Sharp-shinned Hawks.

Now that things are heating up, it looks like my vacation could not have come at a worse time for big yearing..... On Thursday morning, my brother and I will be heading for Westport for the pelagic trip on Saturday, after which we will be working our way down to Tucson via Newport, Redding, and the Salton Sea. I will post a complete trip report when I get back, on a separate tab off of the home page.

Here's hoping I can pick up a few more before I leave! If anything does show up, I am never more than 15,000 air miles away........

Good birding,

No comments:

Post a Comment