Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Friday, July 1, 2011

And they keep coming......

Wow!

Just when you think you have hit your allowance for spectacular birds for the month, one of the local bird whisperers does it again!

Hot on the heels of Kerry Finley finding the Black Phoebe, Ian Cruickshank discovered 3 Black Terns at 10 Mile Point last night! This is a species which is listed as hypothetical for Victoria as of the 2001 Checklist, and I dare say it isn't hypothetical anymore, having been seen well by 8 or so birders last night, as well as being photographed by Ian. Also kicking around at 10 Mile last night were 2 early Heerman's Gulls, bringing me to 206 for the year.

This morning I got an early start, and managed a peek at the Gray Catbird that has been serenading birders near Blenkinsop Lake. This bird is unfortunately singing from private property, which is not accessible to the public. After watching it sing for 15 minutes, I decided to finally put to rest one of my long-standing Big Year wants, and called Rick Shortinghuis, who led me to a reliable, vocal, and somewhat uncooperative Black-throated Gray Warbler at the north end of Thetis Lake Park. We finally got great looks at it singing from the treetops.

The weekend hasn't even begun, and I now need 44 more..... dare I ask what is going to show up next?????

Good birding,

No comments:

Post a Comment