Follow along as Jeremy Kimm chases a Victoria, BC, birding record!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

11th Hour Chat

I had pretty much given up on the Yellow-breasted Chat still being around, as I went looking for it on Monday with no luck, and there were no reports yesterday.

Then last night, I read Aziza Cooper's report of hearing a call in the evening. Looking outside, I took the cloud cover to be a potential plus, in that hopefully it would stop the Chat from trying to move on. I decided to give it a go this morning.

When I got out of the car at 8:25 this morning, I immediately heard the Chat calling from an area up the hill from the trail. By the time I reached the area, the bird had moved, and was in the area of broom, small oak, and willow between the trail and Prospect Lake Rd. For half an hour I was treated to the birds full vocal repertoire as it moved back and forth between shrubs, making full use of the entire area, and occassionally popping up to provide great looks. What a treat to see this bird in Victoria! Hopefully it sticks around a bit longer.

I am now one short of 200, and starting to wonder what the milestone bird will be............

No comments:

Post a Comment